The Real Dre is Back!
by Andrea Garst
The last year or so has been very interesting. After having Kylene, I was so inconsistent in the gym.... It was always...
1. No Time - working full time/keeping the house clean/spending time with family/spending time with friends
2. Work - overwhelmed
3. Guilty about leaving Kylene - there are only so many waking hours in the day I am able to spend with her
4. Felt left behind - I blinked and the gym expanded right before my eyes. I no longer recognized people.. things were changing so fast.
5. Needed to lose weight before I came back - I wanted to start eating better and trim down before coming back in the gym
Then somewhere along the way, I realized those were all just EXCUSES!! I was spending too much time justifying why I wasn't in the gym. Slowly, I started attacking each and every excuse and created SMART goals. Get in the gym three times a week/eat healthier/etc.
Over time, it became very clear that CrossFit made me a better mom, wife, daughter, sister, friend and employee. Being in the gym and slamming weight builds my confidence and clears my head. The excuses went away and turned into blessings...
1. Time - CrossFit is now a priority - for my health and several other reasons
2. Work - If I can WOD, I can certainly accomplish anything that comes my way at work. Being in the box increases my confidence and that translates to my work life as well.
3. Guilty about leaving Kylene - When I am working out, I am a better mom. Bottom line. I have more energy, patience and I am happier. It makes all the difference in the world knowing Kylene gets to spend time with Andrea or Sabrina while I am working out. I know they are loving on her the entire time :)
4. Felt left behind - The growth of the gym has been incredible. From the garage days to now. It was intimidating coming back after Kylene was born, but I slowly realized that even though there were new people.... the culture remained the same. So positive and uplifting. It was a wonderful opportunity to make new friends and develop new relationships. The more people to cheer on the better!!! I have never attended a class without laughing and joking around - 5 PM class rules!!!!!!!
5. Needed to lose weight before I came back - The recent nutritional challenge changed my life. I would have never been able to accomplish what I did on my own. The supportive group atmosphere was incredible. We embraced the challenge and educated ourselves on WHY we are eating healthier - and it made all the difference. I have not had a soda in 8 weeks... and I am never going back :) I lost weight and inches - and it makes me happy to know I am fitting in certain clothes. Who knew I could eat paleo??? Yesterday was the first day off the challenge, and I ate strict paleo. I am going to continue to log points for myself and do burpees at the end of each month. It is easy to lose sight of how you are eating without the accountability factor.
Mark, Chung and Andrea have created something amazing at CrossFit Sun. I am thankful to be part of it. I hope you all realize what a positive impact you have on people's lives. Brandon and I wouldn't trade anything for the friendships we have made at the box. That concept is hard for people that don't CrossFit - but it is all about the community.
The old (but still very young) Dre is back....
Feel free to share this email with anyone you think might be struggling to get in the box. Other people's stories helped motivate me :)
Weightlifting (Oly) Drills
DU Power Jump